Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

Vintage fabric, vintage dress pattern....yes, please!

Rummaging through my sizable stash of fabrics and notions, I found this steel blue/floral vintage fabric that my mama kindly got rid of donated to me. 

You see, this fabric has been kicking around her house since probably the early 80s, at least as long as I can remember.  It hung out so long that fashion changed, new fabric got more attention, and....well....it is just not right for just everything, with its small flowers and obvious lines.  When I saw it last week, I finally got the "a-ha" moment; I knew what I was going to do with it!  Utilizing my pattern from earlier posts, I cut it out on the bias...



and added pockets with an elastic upper edge and gathers around the bottom.  See how easy they are?  Just pin in place!






Done!
Besides home school home ec, I have had one sewing class, and it was so enlightening!  I owe so much to my mom and her instruction, but this college class helped with a lot of the finer aspects.  For instance, finishing raw edges.  I thought that was what pinking shears were for, or a serger if you were lucky enough to have one.  But I learned a very attractive, professional finish that I applied here.
stitch an eighth inch fold on all your raw edges that will form side seams or shoulder seams
sew side and shoulder seams, half inch seam allowance, right sides together.

Press open.  Admire your nice looking finished seam.



With the advice of Christian at Kindel & Company, my unbiased arbiter of good taste, I added goldenrod to the mix...


and finished it with the lace that used to adorn every little girl's wardrobe when I was a wee one.



Vintage fabric, vintage pattern, little spicy color added.  Size 3t-4t. Hope you like it!  It will be in the store tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment